Five Sentence Fiction: EXPLOSION

May 1, 2012
By

The moment her hands were free of the webbed manacles, she slammed them palm up against the wall and the prison multiplex ignited in a flash of color and chaos.

Staring at her through the swirling concrete dust, he said, “Who the hell are you?”

“I’m the one who’s going to set the rebellion on its ear, Kandence, and you’re the one who’s going to help me save Millennium City.”

"Look, lady," he said, dusting off his jacket, "I got no idea what you're talking – -"

Interrupting, she said, "Let me show you," and when her mouth brushed his, images spilled across his memory like a waterfall, saturating every cell of his consciousness until he remembered – the machines and the misery and the woman who'd waged war against them – and crushing his ferocious wife to his chest, he wept.

Five Sentence Fiction is hosted weekly by my lovely friend Lillie McFerrin. She provides a one word prompt and participants use it to create a story in five sentences! Read more about it or join up here!

Tags:

18 Responses to Five Sentence Fiction: EXPLOSION

1. May 2, 2012 at 2:02 am

Oh this is a brilliant start… can hardly wait.  You've captured a great atmosphere with this one.  Nice work.

• Bullish
      May 2, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Thank you! As soon as I read the prompt a futuristic scene flashed in my mind's eye and this is what tumbled out!! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

2. Lisa Shambrook (@LastKrystallos)
    May 2, 2012 at 3:31 am

Oh Wow! You do like to evoke a reaction don't you Ruth! I got chills and definitely wanted to read more…can't decide which sentence I love most, but the last one probably clinches it!

• Bullish
      May 2, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Thank you!! Yeah, I do like to come out with battle cry!! This one was fun to write and I'd like to flesh it out some more, so we'll see if it catches fire!! :)

• Lisa Shambrook (@LastKrystallos)
        May 3, 2012 at 4:53 am

Oh you should! I loved that one and so keen to know more about them and Millenium City and its rebellion!

3. May 2, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Can you hear me? YOU HAVE TO EXPAND THIS ONE…..love, love, LOVED it!

• Bullish
      May 2, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Thanks, Donna! After I posted this one and was reading it in all it's technicolor glory (!) I thought, 'Hmmm, I could really have fun with this one!', so keep the faith and know that it's on the drawing board!!  :)

4. May 2, 2012 at 4:05 pm

And she gave him the red pill and changed his life forever……….

• Bullish
      May 3, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Luckily for him, she didn't give him the yellow pill, huh?! ;)

5. May 3, 2012 at 6:06 am

Loved it! I don't read much science fiction but this one left me begging for more. Definately tuck this away in your little bag of tricks to be expanded later on down the road.

• Bullish
      May 3, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Thank you! So glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, this one is absolutely flagged for future expansion!! :)

6. May 3, 2012 at 10:19 am

Wow such strong evocative imagery. I really enjoyed the  "images spilled across his memory like a waterfall, saturating every cell of his consciousness" bit. You always have great pics to go along with them too. :-)

• Bullish
      May 3, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Thanks, Debra! I really work on finding just the right image so that you can see how the story looks in my head – and this one was such a close match that it's a little spooky!! :)

7. May 4, 2012 at 11:44 am

I love it :) And, I really truly agree with everyone that I would be all over reading more of this story!!!

• Bullish
      May 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Thank you! Rest assured that I've pulled this one aside to work on building it into a larger piece. :)

8. May 4, 2012 at 9:54 pm

You absolutely must expand on this, Ruth. It's probably one of my favourite entries for this prompt. Excellent writing, a beautiful story, a brilliant start. Reading these five lines at the beginning of a book at a bookstore would make me very happy. =)

I just figured out the perfect soundtrack for this (or at least what I'd have listened to while writing this): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c624QWR3CXI

/ Rain

9. May 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I enjoyed the powerful imagery.
    Stan Faryna recently posted..Car Town Start Guide and Cheats: Get Your Game OnMy Profile

• Bullish
      May 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the read! :)

Hit Counter provided by technology news